Changes to Victorian immunisations for young people mean that unless they access free immunisations in 2015, they may miss protection from a variety of diseases including whooping cough and tetanus.
The Victorian Health Department has changed its immunisation schedule so from 2016 young people receive all of their scheduled immunisations in Year 7. Previously some were offered in Years 9 and 10.
As a result of this change, Active Medical can offer FREE immunisations in 2015 for the following vaccinations:
- Diptheria, Tetanus, Pertussis (Whooping Coach) vaccine (Boostrix) for 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16-year-old girls or boys
- Human Papillomavirus vaccine (Gardasil) for boys aged 12, 13, 14 and 15-years
- Varicella vaccine (Varilrix/Varivax) for boys or girls aged 12 and 13-years
- Young people of any age who missed any of the above vaccines due to socioeconomic disadvantage.
If your child attends school, they may be able to access these vaccinations as part of the school vaccination program. However, Active Medical can provide these vaccines to anyone including:
- Students who would prefer not to have vaccinations at school
- Young people who no longer attend school
- Young people who have a medical condition, who would like to talk over their options with a GP prior to receiving the immunisation.
Active Medical GP, Dr Victor Sammut, said it is important for families to ensure all of their children are immunised – regardless of age.
“It’s easier to be diligent when they are babies, but it is just as important when they are teenagers to ensure they, and the rest of your family, are protected from what are life-threatening diseases.
“Whooping cough is a good example. You can carry the disease without being ill yourself, passing it on to vulnerable members of your family, such as babies and grandparents,” Dr Sammut said.
Active Medical is now taking bookings for vaccinations.
Make a booking by phoning Active Medical on 03 9363 0954, book online or visit Active Medical at 228 – 232 Caroline Springs Blvd, Caroline Springs.